Friday 12 December 2014

If you go out in the woods today........

  Last spring I made a nice find in the local forest. So I enlisted some help from Todd and we dragged five spalted maple logs out of the bush. If the logs hold what I think they do there will by many bowls in the my future.

  (to the tune of 'oh what a lovely bunch of coconuts') 
"Oh what a lovely bunch of spalted logs, there they are a laying in a row. Long ones, short ones, some as long as my.................... blogs!
Give them a twist, a flick of the wrist. That's what the showman said." 

It's tough to take the boy out of the man sometimes.

  While I watched Todd work his Polaris 4x4 pulling the logs out of the wood I noticed some trees that were burled. I planned to return for them even though the weather was turning for the worse.

 Shhhh.......be bewrey, bewrey quite. I'm hunting burls.

  Here I am returning from safari loaded down with my quarries. My porter left me though, he kept mumbling some nonsense about a giant ape. Didn't like the weather, I reckoned.

  We will have to wait to see what the burls hold. I think it will be the new year before I get to those and maybe the logs too. I'll post the results.

  As always, thanks for reading. Oh, and singing along on this one.
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment