Saturday 10 March 2012

Buffet Nearly Complete

  The buffet is coming along. There have been some interruptions in the work flow. Lots of stuff going on around here. Places to go people to see.

  Our daughter Alex, took a nice trip to visit with relatives in Scotland and England recently. She also took the good camera so I missed making a chronology on drawer building. Alex had a great time and took lots of nice shots of her visit and I will post a few of the real interesting ones on this blog at another time.

   Brent's table has taken a back seat for the moment. I am waiting for some more inspiration on the trestle section. Most of it is built in my mind just working out a few details.

 I did get some fuzzy pictures of the work completed recently.

Small shelf for the ends of the cabinet.

Larger shelf for the middle section

Fitting the door parts. This one will have glass in it for the center section.

Glue up time, keep them square with a diagonal clamp.

Here are the drawers minus there front faces. I am using shellac over the stain, that should keep the odor down inside the cabinet. Shellac doesn't off gas like polyurethane or varnish once it is dry.

Shelves are getting coats of shellac too.

In this view I have just finished a light sanding of the first coat of mixed dye and pigment stain. Where did I leave that tack cloth? Oh, there it is, stuck to my shoe.

   For this cabinet and its shelving I am using a multiple layer finish. It is a 2:1 mix of red dye stain and brown pigment stain for the first coat. Then that coat is sealed in with a coat of shellac followed by a light sanding with 400 grit paper. Next a coat of brown pigment stain goes on and is wiped off leaving a dark brown with red highlights showing through. Shellac on top of the brown coat for the interior and sides should handle the low abuse level.

And here it is with the dark pigment stain followed by a coat of shellac. The drawers are waiting for the fronts and we still have to hang the doors. Don't mind the shine it is caused by the flash from the camera.

  Sometimes with large projects the living room doubles as a finishing room. Shannon charges a steep rent but I a willing to pay.

I think I am going to go with polyurethane on the top instead of shellac though. A warm bowl or frosty beer lands on it you will most certainly have a white ring.

Hmmmm... it's Saturday and a frosty beer would be nice. Gotta go.

As always, thanks for reading.
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment