Wednesday 3 August 2011

Taking Care of Some Unfinished Business

  Finally back to working on the church pew. I am making new ends for the left over length of seat from the curved bench that used to be ten feet long. I had to wait for the oak boards to dry to a lower moisture content before laminating up the ends. It will be nice to get it together and out of here. The bench seat has been in here since the end of May after I stripped the old finish off of it.

Two panels face to face to make a 1 1/2 " thick end piece

Frankenvise can hold just about anything.
  I had to trim down Frankenvise as there was to much flex in the jaws above the tightening screw. I recycled these crazy screw handles from a broken shovel handle. With a couple of twists I can unscrew them from the "T" if they are in the way.

Stained with Puritan Pine and will be ready to fit together tomorrow.
  I also got a start on the dados for the bench seat to fit into the ends. Roughed them out with a skill saw and chisel. Tomorrow I'll use the router and straight bit and sneak up on the edges of the dados.

  I'll post a little montage of pictures later to show how I had imagined it would come together back in June.


Thanks for reading
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment