Tuesday 5 April 2011

Corner Table and Bench for Office Entrance.

  In 2009 our family doctor had moved to an old house that was renovated into a new clinic. She likes to ensure items in the clinic are sourced locally. Fall was coming and so was flu season which necessitates a station in the entry way where persons can don a mask and wash their hands. The doctor also wanted a bench on which one could sit to remove their soggy footwear before entering the waiting room. The table had to be fairly large and fit into a corner. A three legged table would topple forward so I added a fourth in the center of the curved apron.

  I used soft maple for this project as they wanted the finish to be dark and the brown streaks in the wood wouldn't pose a problem when finishing. I also required strength for the seating bench.

Here it is, I didn't go for the fancy stuff. Adjustable feet were added.

  Since the bench was meant for removing your footwear I didn't go for a nice contoured fit. Many of the patients are elderly so I figured a flat seat and strong, easy to grab armrests were in order. The backrest is there so coats and mitts don't slide off the bench down in behind it. I have been in to visit and witnessed patients enjoying the bench while waiting for their ride home.

Bench is 48 inches long and I kept the seat height up so standing is a little easier.

Strong flat seat. Lower rail of backrest close to seat to keep items on top.

Easy to handle armrest that can take a load.

  I used Minwax English Chestnut stain then finished with 3 coats of Wipe on Poly.
One thing about the soft maple I found is that it can come up like little hairs when sanding so I used scraper cards. I prefer scrapers over sanding anyway.

Thanks, I hope you enjoyed this post.
 Ken

1 comment: