Monday 28 March 2011

Welcome to the Shop

  A couple of years ago the two car garage was a shop in progress. Progress lasted 20 years. The concrete floor sported a couple of yawning chasms in which to twist the ankles. The walls were 80% insulated but not covered with anything save for a generous coating of fine sawdust. The ceiling allowed one to view most of the rafters and roof decking. Electricity was available from a couple of outlets sprouting many wires, enough to make Medusa look the other way. Lighting was provided by two 150 watt bare bulbs, these doubled as supplemental heating. When it snowed there would be a drift stretching 2 feet inside past the bottom of the overhead door. That didn't bother me much as the drift would be gone by summer. Prevailing winds beat on the man door so it was held closed using a long handled axe wedged against the inside door handle. The small wood stove fought Old Man Winter but was more a match for Jack Frost. I was always provided an update on temperature and wind speeds when I used that axe to split some wood to keep the fire burning. Decent shingles managed to keep the rain out and off the tools over the years.

  It took about 4 months to reach the point where I could paint the drywall and hang the florescent light fixtures. It was an extensive refurbish, I raised the ceiling to 9 1/2 feet, all new wiring and outlets (20amp minimum), windows and doors, insulation with proper attic ventilation and I even trimmed the windows and doorways. I considered baseboards but hey it's just a shop.

Gutted the building starting in December 2008 and finished painting March 2009

  I invited my wife out to marvel at the fruits of my labour. She said, "Very impressive, you did such a nice job, when will you be moving in." "My large tools are already in the building and the smaller ones will follow.", I replied, a little puzzled. "Yes, but where will you put your bed.", she said. I considered stating that there would not be a bed but a pull out couch opposite a big screen LED TV. But I just laughed. So did she, thank goodness.
  With some time and left over wood came cupboards. From much plywood came worktables and the out feed cabinet.
I've never had a dust collection system before so I researched many a blog on the subject. I'm pleased with the performance. Please see Dust Collection.

Enjoy these pictures I took today, thanks for looking.
Torsion box top for this assembly table with adjustable height.

Looking North
South west view
Looking West. My daughter's getting her bike ready for the motocross season
Lots of duct for the chip makers.

Plenty of chips and dust created in this area.
Out feed table, storage underneath. Can be lowered on to casters for portability.
Maple bench I built as a tribute to my father.

This 18" band saw works very well.



No comments:

Post a Comment